Freelancing can be a tough decision to make, but sometimes it can provide you with the opportunities and freedom you need in order to succeed at your craft. When choosing between freelance work and a company to work for, you really need to weigh the positives and negatives before making a committment. Lexi Rodrigo has come up with some great tips on how to start a successful freelancing career.
Here are the cliff notes of her advice:
1. Know Yourself: What are your strengths and weakness’, your skills, and experience?
2.Know Your Resources: What are your tangible and intangible resources? (This includes your equipment, supplies, and personal connections.)
3. Set your Goals: Know what you want and make a list of how to accomplish your set of goals.
4. Know your client: Demographics (gender/age/location/etc.) and Psychographics (attitudes/beliefs/motivations/principles/etc.)
5. Examine the landscape: Know your competition.
6. Craft your marketing message and brand: who you are, what you have done, and how you can help your clients.
7. Package your services and rates: How to set your rates to be competitive and accurate in every market.
8.Make a business plan: Bplans.com
I found Lexi’s article to be filled with a wealth of content and have bookmarked it for use after graduation.
As always, I welcome your comments or questions, and appreciate links to other articles or websites you would like to share.